There is no first-time traveller to Marrakech that would not be enthralled by this enchanting oasis situated at the foot of the magnificent Atlas Mountains. Marrakech is afascinating city that combines rich history, diverse cultures, and a vibrant atmosphere. Little wonder it is now the destination for the glitterati and tourists from different parts of the world.
The city’s medinas, lively souks, and architectural marvels, without a doubt, makes it a truly significant tourist destination in Africa. Interestingly, its distinctive appeal has attracted filmmakers, including the creators of the hit series: Game of Thrones.
Here are some things to know about Marrakech’s fascinating attractions:
1. The Medina of Marrakech: At the heart of the city lies the UNESCO-listed Medina of Marrakech; a maze of narrow alleyways, vibrant marketplaces, and stunning riads. The invigorating scents of spices, leather, and traditional delicacies leads you. Of course, you can’t miss the iconic Djemaa el-Fna square, where snake charmers, acrobats, and storytellers mesmerize visitors. Also, you can bargain for intricate carpets, lovely textiles, and jewellery during a visit to the vibrant souks.
2. Majorelle Garden: Originally designed by French painter, Jacques Majorelle, this botanical paradise is a true oasis in the heart of Marrakech. A walk through the vibrant blue buildings, beautified with exotic plants and colourful fountains will leave you in tranquil state. The garden’s serene ambiance and the charming Berber Museum within its premises is an idyllic spot for relaxation and reflection.
3. Bahia Palace: A visit to Marrakech is incomplete without visiting the luxurious Bahia Palace. Built in the 19th century, this architectural masterpiece is another display of the finest Moroccan craftsmanship. This is evident as you wander through the sprawling courtyards, festooned with intricately carved stucco, stunning tilework, and beautiful gardens. The palace’s grand rooms, decorated with colourful ceilings and luxurious furnishings, offer a glimpse into the rich lifestyle of the past.
4. Koutoubia Mosque: One cannot miss the iconic Koutoubia Mosque, the largest mosque in Marrakech. Its towering minaret dominates the city’s skyline and serves as a landmark for navigation. The stunning architecture, featuring intricate geometric patterns and ornate details is not only fascinating, but admirable. While non-Muslims are not allowed inside, the surrounding gardens offer a tranquil spot to marvel at the mosque’s grandeur.
5. Filming locations for Game of Thrones: Marrakech’s unique landscapes and ancient architecture have attracted filmmakers from around the world, including the creators of the hit TV series, Game of Thrones. The city served as a filming location for fictional cities in the series. The picturesque Atlas Mountains and the nearby Aït Benhaddou, a UNESCO World Heritage site, were also featured. Exploring these locations provides the opportunity for fans to immerse themselves in the fantastical world of Westeros.
This is not in any way an exhaustive list of the tourist attractions or things to do. However, whether you’re seeking cultural immersion, historical exploration, or simply an exotic getaway, Marrakech is certainly one destination that would leave you with unforgettable memories.